Why Does the Smell of Essential Oils Seem to Dissipate After a Few Hours?
We've had this question pop up a few times, so have always got clarification and information from our registered oils distributor in Australia.
There are a couple of reasons why...
1. Our oils are 100% pure essential oils. While they do have a beautiful scent, their main job is to be absorbed into our system by breathing and through skin absorption, to promote health and wellbeing.
Cheaper, synthetic 'fragrant' oils are available in dollar stores, and while their scent is more powerful and will last longer, they are a chemical compound designed to replicate a real plant extract, and there is absolutely no health benefit in breathing or absorbing them into the body.
2. Diffusing oils through a cool mist vaporiser keeps the oil molecule in its original form which is better for good health. When pure essential oils are placed in an oil burner, the scent is more intense and lasts longer, but the molecule is severely altered, and does not give optimum health benefit.
Our 'Cool Mist' Vaporisers break down the molecule so finely that it spreads through the room and can stay suspended in the air for hours, for optimum absorption into the body, and it only uses 200ml of water!
3. When the vaporiser begins working, our noses immediately notice an intense release of smell. Then after a little while, a chemical reaction called Olfactory Adaptation or Olfactory Fatigue occurs. Put simply, it is the temporary, normal inability to distinguish a particular scent after a prolonged exposure to that airborne compound. The oils are still being dispersed in the air, but your nose is just not as sensitive to the smell.
There are many people who have poor or reduced sense of smell, yet are benefited by pure essential oils in the air, as they can breathe and absorb every molecule of cool mist, which is coated in the essential oil.
A good example of Olfactory Fatigue is when you've been wearing the same perfume for a while, the scent may eventually seem to fade away, even though it's as potent as it was before. Others may notice your perfume much more readily than you do.
Similarly, if you are cooking a delicious roast in the oven. Initially you will smell the wonderful aromas. But after an hour of being in the kitchen, the smell is not so noticeable. However, a person just entering the kitchen will immediately notice the smell more than you.
4. Depending on the size of the room, you may need to add only a few more drops (particularly in a large open plan kitchen/living area), to ensure the oil and water particles can reach a larger surface area. The Aroma Bloom can disperse oil and water particles around 25sqm.
Due to the advanced ultrasonic technology, the fine mist created by the Aroma Bloom can disperse to a greater distance than some cheaper 'cool mist' vaporisers on the market.
5. In conclusion, the most important thing to remember is that even though you may not notice an intense smell of an essential oil over time, you are still breathing and absorbing the ionised, humidified, purified air/water/oil molecules, which can contribute to health and well being. You have made a great choice is purchasing high quality, pure 100% essential oils, as they will provide optimum health benefits 365 days a year.
I hope this information has been helpful and explains the science behind pure essential oils and smell. Click here to browse our beautiful range of Essential Oils for only $22 per bottle - you will love them!
Laura and the Snotty Noses Team x