Bravo, thanks for putting your trust in the Snotty Boss Nasal Aspirator - the premium nasal aspirator for young children.
Snotty Boss is transforming the way parents respond to children's runny and blocked noses, in a fast, effective way - 365 days and nights a year.
There is A LOT OF INFORMATION here, so perhaps save this link for future reference, particularly on the cleaning details. Of course, we are available via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 0403 818440
Let's get started.....
Assembling the Snotty Boss
The 2 pieces of clear plastic collection cup must be twisted into place. NOTE: the 2 inner tubes DO NOT align. The collection cup fits and twists onto the white motor base.
Watch this video to see all the pieces get put together.
For best results, you must use high quality, well charged alkaline batteries. Cheap, generic batteries or rechargeable batteries may not produce enough charge to start the motor or suction sufficiently. The better the batteries, the better the suction.
NOTE: new batteries from the packet can still be FAULTY, and will not produce enough charge to activate the motor. Try a few different batteries, if the 1st 2 don't work.
After periods of non-use, fresh batteries may be required. The sound of the motor should indicate when the batteries need changing. The super-quiet motor should 'whirr' not sound sluggish.
In long periods of non-use (like in Summer when children are less likely to be congested) please remove batteries when placing Snotty Boss into storage, to avoid corrosion or battery sweating.
A Comfortable Position
We totally understand that babies and children may not like having a strange, vibrating device in their nose, especially as they are sick, tired and not their normal happy selves.
No parent likes to see their child distressed, but the medical benefits of removing the snot (so your child can breathe, feed, sleep and recover better) might be worth a moment of fuss.
Every child has a different personality. Some little ones may be unfazed, but others will be completely bothered and scared if you try to get anywhere near their nose.
Some younger babies may not have been bothered by the Snotty Boss, but as they get older, they start to object.
Holding your baby or child in a gentle but firm cradle position helps to get the job done quicker and easier. We do not recommend trying to aspirate while bub lies on a change table, as their natural reflex is to turn their head away and wave their arms about.
In the photo above, Mum Laura is sitting and holding baby Sage in a calm, cradle position. This allows baby's head to be resting against Mum's shoulder, to lessen the ability to turn away and wave their arm, which can be a child's natural reaction.
Baby's right arm is easily tucked behind or against Mum's body, to avoid interference. Mum's left hand is gently holding baby's left arm, to stop the natural reflex to resist and wave the arm around.
It can take some practice from parents to master the right holding position, but it's worth experimenting, as it makes the snot extraction process so much quicker and easier.
Saline is a vital first step as it helps loosen up all nasal mucus, and lessens the risk of agitating nasal membranes. The Snotty Boss Kit comes with an empty, refillable saline spray bottle.
If your child's nose is streaming with flowing snot, you may not need as much saline.
However, first thing in the morning, snot may be dry and crusty and can easily stick inside the nasal cavity, so saline must be used first, to loosen everything up.
Fill the spray bottle with saline solution: you don’t need to spend money at the chemist buying saline – it’s purified, salt water.
Normal saline solution contains 0.9 percent sodium chloride (salt), which is similar to the sodium concentration in blood and tears.
Make Your Own Saline
1. Boil the jug, set aside 1 cup (250)ml to cool. Do NOT pour boiling water into the spray bottle as it will warp!
2. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (iodine-free), and dispense into the enclosed, refillable spray bottle and shake well.
3. Spare saline can be kept in the fridge and discarded after 48 hours.
Do 1 or 2 sprays of saline up each nostril first - it will loosen the mucus, and act as a natural antibacterial solution. Then, aspirate the nose using the SNOTTY BOSS, and do a final single spray of saline to leave in the nasal cavity.
Breastmilk is also a natural, nutrient-rich substance that can be squirted up the nose to clear infection and loosen up any mucus for easier extraction.
Please watch this You Tube video, for a full demonstration of the Snotty Boss
A Fun Game
Newborns are usually unfazed by the noise and feel of the Snotty Boss, but sometimes older babies and toddlers can be a little unsure, or even completely freaked out by this vibrating gadget going up their nose. Remember Snotty Boss is the quietest battery powered aspirator on the Australian market.
But we acknowledge that snot sucking is not as fun as eating icecream or playing at the park!
No parent likes to see their little one upset, but the Snotty Boss is the quickest way to remove nasal congestion so they can breathe, sleep and feel better.
We believe the medical benefits of removing snot at the source, before it can become a secondary chest, ear or adenoid infection far outweighs a moment (or 10!!!) of fuss and wriggle.
Just like an immunisation needle, it's for the greater good.
Try these fun distractions and tricks...
1. If they are old enough, let your child use the Snotty Boss on you first. Let them press the button and put it up YOUR NOSE. Laugh and giggle and tell them it tickles. Show them there is nothing to be afraid of.
2. Let your child play "doctor" and use the Snotty Boss on their 'sick' dolls and teddies as a game!
3. Try doing a simple countdown game from 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 while operating, to show children it really only takes a few seconds.
4. Sing a song to the tune of Wheels on the Bus...Little Snotty Boss goes suck, suck, suck, all the way to town.
5. Turn on ABC4Kids, and delight in the ultimate quick distraction. Remember, they won't get much time to watch, because you will only need a few seconds up each nostril to clear the nose!
6. Ultimately, keep calm, and show your child there is nothing to be scared about.
Children will breathe, feed and sleep so much better once the snot is gone. Plus it will aid in quicker recovery from their cold and congestion, and reduce the risk of secondary ear, adenoid and respiratory infection.
Every child has a different temperament. They may never really love using Snotty Boss, but as a dedicated, loving parent you are doing the right thing by helping them breathe and recover quicker from colds and congestion.
We understand your child may be unsure at first and even months down the track it still may not be their favourite thing to do, but when their health is compromised, it's worth it!
Snotty Boss collection cup and nozzles are completely waterproof. Twist off from the base unit and wash under hot water.
The internal motor can also be flushed, if snot has gotten inside the device. Standing the unit upright will avoid collected snot leaking through to the motor in most instances.
Please DO NOT UNSCREW the light blue piece to flush internally. Please WATCH THE VIDEO below to see the full cleaning demonstration.
Remember to let all flushed water FULLY EXPEL from the motor by keeping the motor running for 60 seconds AFTER removing it from the cup of water, and until no more water will shake out from the small hole on the light blue piece. Stand it upright to fully dry after any internal flush.
We understand parents are cautious about inserting something into their child's nose. The nozzles are made of medical grade soft silicon and are gentle on little noses.
The small tip nozzle is for premature or newborn babies, the wider, short nozzle is for older babies and children, the long, narrow nozzle is for reaching high into the nasal passage. If the long, narrow nozzle is too long, you can snip it shorter with scissors.
Please make sure your child is in a comfortable position, where their head is as still as possible. A nice bear hug, with arms controlled might be required for the first few times. Eventually, toddlers may start to use it themselves, but always supervise the procedure.
In order to fully seal the nostril to create a vacuum strong enough to suction, you must insert the nozzle far enough in one nostril, so it is completely sealed.
Please use your judgement, but if you are concerned that no enough snot is being removed, the nozzle may need to be inserted further and gently rotated whilst inside, to suction all available snot.
You can seal the other nostril with your finger tip, to create an even stronger vacuum seal, for superior suction.
Safety Note: The Snotty Boss is RoHS safety tested and registered as a medical device with TGA Australia, overseen by the Department of Health. The level of suction has been set to be not too weak, and not too strong. In very rare cases, suction may inflame or agitate the delicate nasal membranes, which may cause a temporary nose bleed. This usually happens if the nostrils are very dry so saline is always recommended as a first step. The bleed will usually be minor and stop within 5-10 minutes. However if the bleeding persists, please seek medical advice. The nostrils will heal in 1-6 days, so parents should not use the aspirator during this time, until the nose is fully healed.
Daily Nasal Flushing
You know how good it feels to blow your nose each morning - even when you are not sick! Your baby or toddler can't tell you when they have a giant booger up their nose, so this daily activity keep them healthy and happy.
Step 1: 2 squirts of saline up each nostril
Step 2: Suction any loose mucus with the Snotty
Read the full NASAL FLUSHING blog here.
Snotty Noses Australia has featured products in Australian newspapers
Is My Snotty Boss Aspirator Functioning Correctly?
Mastering the best technique when using the Snotty Boss does take a bit of practice.
We understand it can be tricky to get the correct insertion angle and depth when dealing with a wriggly baby or toddler at the same time.
Firstly, make sure you've got well charged alkaline-only batteries (the motor will not engage unless the batteries have enough charge) and have used a couple of squirts of saline in each nostril - the Snotty Boss can't suction dry, crusty snot!
And of course, make sure the batteries are inserted the right way.
To check the function and see the suction capabilities of the Snotty Aspirator, we recommend you do the "no nozzle suction test" first. Take off the top of the collection cup, so you are left with the round opening (the size of a 20c piece) Press the power button and place the unit onto the palm of your hand.
Please watch the "Hand Palm Suction Test" Video Here...
Another way to check the function is with the "Tomato Sauce Test" - as it's the same consistency as snot, just a different colour!
Squirt some tomato sauce onto a plate, and suction it up with the Snotty Boss - it should be suctioned quickly and easily, just like in the video below.
Just take off the collection cup and rinse the unit under a warm tap to clean.
Now you can see how powerful the Snotty Boss is, so it's time to use it on your little one.
Correct depth of insertion is essential, especially to remove the snot high in the nasal passages. You need to insert the nozzle far enough into the nostril to create an air seal, so the vacuum can do it's job.
This can take a bit of practice, as parents don't want to insert it too far, for fear of hurting their child. We understand, but with careful judgement and precision, it is a safe action.
If you are concerned or unsure about the safest technique for use, please take the Snotty Aspirator and saline spray to your next doctor's appointment and ask your doctor to demonstrate appropriate use.
If the "hand palm" suction test or Tomato Sauce suction test does not produce good results, you may have received a faulty unit, so please send a video of the test via email to email@example.com for further investigation.
Help, I Still Can't Get Anything Out Of My Child's Nose
There may be times when your child is sick, and you can hear the mucus rattling, but despite using the Snotty Boss correctly, you are unable to extract any mucus from the nasal passage.
The answers are on our CONGESTION BLOG: Click HERE to read
Here are some tips that may help.
1. The nozzle is not sealing the nose when used - please push the Snotty Boss further into the nostril to seal the entire nostril. If outside air is sucked into aspirator, it will not extract from inside the nose of your child.
2. The snot in your child's nose may thick and dry - please hydrate your child, use a vaporiser, use saline before aspiration and aspirate in bath or shower to take advantage of the steam. The Snotty Boss may not be able to extract a dry, crusty piece of snot.
3. The rattling mucus you can hear is in the throat or chest, not nasal passages, as such the aspirator will not help - please contact your health professional for best action and continue using saline spray to flush the mucus as much as possible.
The ergonomic design of the Snotty Boss allows it to stand upright independently. We recommend standing the unit upright at all times, between uses and whilst in storage. If it lays down, any moisture or unrinsed mucus can leak through the collection cup and through to the motor compartment, which can cause this liquid to 'spit out' the air vent when in operation - yuck!
If this does happen, give your aspirator a full wash and stand upright to dry for a few hours, with the collection cup removed.
Cleaning and Storage
Diligent and regular CLEANING of the entire unit is absolutely essential. Without regular, full cleaning, the small motor can easily get clogged and will cease to operate and your 12 month warranty will be voided.
The nozzles and collection cup is waterproof. Remove from the base unit, and rinse these pieces under hot water.
You can soak collection cup and nozzles in a cup of boiling water for 5 mins only.
DO NOT microwave any pieces.
Nozzles only can be placed in a bottle sterilizer.
The hand held lower piece (containing motor and batteries) cannot be washed under the tap, but the motor can be flushed. Please watch the video below.
The Snotty Boss is covered by a 12 month warranty for factory or production faults. Issues that arise from irregular or insufficient cleaning are not covered by the warranty.
Please remove batteries if in storage for extended periods, to avoid battery sweating and rusting, which will damage the battery pack and void the warranty.
Please watch this You Tube video, to get simple and effective cleaning tips....
My Snotty Boss Was Working, But Now it Won't Turn On or Suction
As the unit has worked previously, we know it's not a manufacturing fault. If the unit has been accidentally dropped, something internal may have broken and stops the motor from turning on. Unfortunately, the unit would not be covered by warranty in this instance.
Scenario A: I can hear the motor, but there is no suction.
Remove the clear plastic collection cup and place your finger over the centre hole of the light blue piece. Can you feel suction there? If yes, it likely means there is a problem with the clear plastic collection cup. There may be a crack in the plastic which is compromising the suction.
Also check the 2 blue rubber o-rings are still in place, which will ensure the collection cup fits on tightly for maximum suction.
Scenario B: I've pressed the power button, but it's completely dead. No sound, no suction.
1. BATTERY POWER is usually the problem. Even though you are using new batteries, straight from the packet, they can still be faulty and not produce enough charge to turn the internal motor. We have seen this happen many times, when customers return the unit to our Brisbane office, and as soon as we put in new batteries and give the unit a few hard taps UPSIDE DOWN on a bench, it starts working again. So try a couple of new batteries (and check they work in another device like a TV remote control)
2. If there is still no power, it could mean that some snot has leaked into the internal motor last time it was used. Internal snot then dries and sticks the motor cog, so it won't turn. Gross, but potentially fixable. So we need to soak the white lower piece.
3. Take off the upper clear plastic collection cup/nozzle.
4. DO NOT UNSCREW THE 4 holding screws on the light blue top of the motor piece!!! It will displace the motor lip, and void the warranty.
5. REMOVE BATTERIES from the unit and REPLACE BATTERY COVER. Place the white lower part of Snotty Boss UPSIDE DOWN in a cup of warm water (as long as the battery cover is clicked ON, the unit is waterproof).
6. Leave to soak UPSIDE DOWN for 1 hour.
7. Remove Snotty Boss from the water and TAP IT UPSIDE DOWN on a hard bench top 4-5 times (the upside down position is critical, as it can JOLT the cog in the internal motor. Some water will drip out the small black air hole on the blue part - this is a good thing.
8. Now leave the unit UPSIDE DOWN to dry for 2-3 hours - There is a small black air hole on the light blue top, so unit must sit UPSIDE DOWN to drain (perhaps on a towel). During that time, come and TAP, TAP, TAP the unit on the bench to release any residual water. If you shake the unit upside down and water still comes out, it hasn't dried out enough.
9. Once the unit has drained and FULLY DRIED, replace with NEW HIGH QUALITY BATTERIES. Give the unit a final tap, tap UPSIDE DOWN and try the power button again.
If these steps still don't work, it's possible the unit has accidentally been dropped and something internally has broken, preventing the motor from turning.
In this instance, if the unit is within 12 month warranty, we will get the white motor piece back from you to inspect, and can send a replacement part.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a 10-20 second video of what your machine will/won't do to begin warranty investigation.
Thank you for putting your trust in the Snotty Boss Nasal Aspirator and shopping with snottynoses.com.au. We'd love you to tell your friends and family about the product that is transforming the way families deal with colds and congestion.
As always, if your child's symptoms and conditions worsen, please contact your medical professional for advice and treatment. This advice is general only and may not apply to all customers at all times.
Reviews and comments make our world go around. Click to the Snotty Boss Product Page and leave a review at the bottom of the page...
Want to help your child recover even quicker from a cold? Try these amazing products.....
Checkout our great range of Cool Mist Vaporisers and Organic Essential Oils...
help your little one breathe better, sleep better and feel better.
Safe for use 365 days and nights a year...
A Dynamic Duo of Organic Goodness. Get it here