From the comments on our social media, good sleep is high on the agenda for Australian families.
Whether you have a newborn, toddler or older child, the use of 'red light therapy' is scientifically proven to promote restful sleep.
We are the experts in gadgets for good health and good sleep, so with the support of the midwives and sleep consultants from Sleep Tight, we are ready to help every Australian family with practical, calm and consistent sleep routines.
Let's explore the reasons red light therapy can help improve sleep for your children, every night of the year....
Safe and stylist red light, cool mist vaporisers - breathe well, sleep well 365 nights a year
1. Natural Body Rhythms: Our body clocks are controlled by the circadian rhythm, which helps all humans determine when it's time to sleep. It exists from birth, and becomes more advanced around 12 months of age.
It guides the way humans become tired naturally. When it starts getting dark outside, our brain signals to the body to start creating melatonin.
2. Melatonin: It's the sleep hormone, produced naturally by the pineal gland from birth, which regulates wakefulness. Worldwide studies show it effects sleep quality and the body’s ability to regulate body temperature, blood pressure and glucose levels.
Red light supports the highest level of melatonin production.
3. Muscle Relaxation: When the sleep hormone melatonin is produced, it has a secondary benefit - it increases muscle relaxation, another natural inducer to sleep.
4. Let's Get Scientific: With over 4000 published medical studies done on the positive effect of light therapy, its value as a therapeutic aid is undisputed. The unique wavelength frequency of red light is distinct and different to other light colours.
5. The Right Fit for Any Family: Red light therapy has wide appeal and suits any parenting style and family set up, and any age of baby, child or teenager. When children get enough restful sleep they are happier, smarter and easier to manage.
It's an easy, affordable gadget to improve your child's sleep.
6. Blue Light VS Red Light: Night lights have been recommended for years in children's bedrooms to help them feel safe and secure. However, many night lights are in the shape of cute animals and toadstools but do not feature a red light source.
Blue, white, or green light sources - however dim - can be detrimental to sleep as they emit blue light waves. Blue light is a stimulant that actually boosts attention and reaction times, which interrupt the production of melatonin. Red light is a higher wavelength and boosts melatonin production.
7. Light Before Bed: As night falls, we turn lights on in our home. The most common form of light emission is blue lights and white fluros from TVs, smart phones, laptops and almost all forms of ceiling lights. White and blue based lights inhibit the body’s secretion of melatonin by tricking the brain into believing it is still daylight.
Whilst we don't advocate doing the dinner, bath, book, bed routine by candlelight, it's vital to ensure no screens are used at least an hour before bed. Reserve Peppa Pig replays and the ABC4Kids App for daylight hours only.
8. Red Light VS Total Darkness: Many parents are concerned that using any light source in their baby or child's room will cause sleep disruption. They prefer to have total darkness for a newborn, as babies have just come from the dark womb environment.
However, as babies grow and their sleep patterns change, a completely dark environment can cause fear and stress, even by 4-6 months of age, when sleep regression occurs.. Little ones cannot see their surrounds if they waken during the night. Starting with a red light from birth creates an ambient, familiar environment.
Many parents are concerned that introducing a red light for the first time to a toddler or older child's room may cause sleep disruption. In the first few days, the sleep routine may be different or worse. However within days, you will see the benefit of the melatonin production and soothing red light on your child's mood, and their ability to fall asleep calmly and stay asleep.
That's why all of our red light nightlights/vaporisers come with a 30 day "Satisfaction Guarantee". If you are not seeing improvement within 14 days, please get in contact with our support team for advice and new strategies to assist the transition to a better sleep routine.
9. Night Terrors: Children of all ages can go through stages of night terrors, and being afraid of the dark or think they are seeing shadows in dark corners of their room. Red base night-lights are a much better strategy than leaving a television or I-pad on to comfort your child. Children thrive on routine, and consistent use of red light therapy promotes a familiar, calm environment.
10. Daylight Savings: The late Summer sunset can cause a huge disruption in bedtime routines. As it's often still light outside during the normal bedtime hours of 6-7pm, children's bodies and minds are not naturally winding down.
Creating a bedroom environment that stimulates nightfall to help melatonin production is easier than you might think. It's time to invest a few dollars in some black cardboard over the windows, plus some thick curtains or blinds and then add a red night light to create a warm glow in the room.
The window covering has the added benefit of blocking the 4.45am Summer sunrise, to give everyone an extra hour (or more) of much needed morning sleep.
11. Some Worrying Facts: In a 2013 study Dr. Bedrosian, from the Department of Neuroscience at Ohio State University found the detrimental effects blue light can have on children (and adults).
That study concluded that exposure to blue light in the hour before bed and after bedtime (hello I-Pad and Smartphone) could lead to negative mood changes, a slower metabolism, compromised immune function, decreased quality of sleep, and overall reduced energy levels.
It's something to consider as your children enter the teenage years too.
12. A Simple Soloution: Whilst nothing is a magic overnight fix for sleep issues, the consistent use of a red night light from birth could create a positive, calm sleep environment for your child.
We are proud to stock a variety of red night lights, with a built in humidier/air purifier/cool mist vaporiser.
Add a few drops of organic essential oil in blends like Sensitive Child, Child Calming Remedy and Winter Rescue Remedy, and watch the sleep magic unfold - 365 nights a year.
A Trio of Sleep Products: In addition to the red light vaporiser/nighlight and calming essential oil, the 3rd piece of the sleep puzzle is a "white noise" sound spa - which plays a constant, soothing, low frequency nature sound. Get the whole bundle here, and bring on the zzzzzzz's.
Wood Look Aroma Bloom, Sensitive Child Essential Oil, White Noise Sound Spa
Note: Wood Look Vaporiser/Nightlight has colour changing lights which can be paused on red light.
With a 30 day "Satisfaction Guarantee", you'll be so glad you tried some red light therapy at your place.
Much love, Laura and the team Brisbane
Glow Dreaming Red Light Therapy